Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Deciding On My Final Idea



My test shots I decided to do on ideas 1 and 2 in my opinion, were successful so I don't feel that I need to do more test shots for my third idea. I'm glad I did a second set of test shots because it helped me develop my ideas and get them clearer in my head so I know exactly what I want to do.

         I really enjoyed my trip to Denny Abbey, I thought it was very interesting to meet Mike and Lorna and learn about how it all started and there was lots of rusty machinery so it was perfect! I think I got some good pictures but I still think I could do better so I am going to go back to Denny Abbey and take more photos, this time more confident in what I'm doing and what kind of photos I want. In my opinion, close up, low angle photos are the most effective ones because it doesn't really matter what you're photographing, as long as the textures and colours of the rust make up for it so I'll attempt more of those. On the other hand, I think it's important to have a mixture of different types of photos to make it more interesting rather than every single one being really similar.

       I think in the photos I took of the flowers for idea 2 I managed to show flowers withering over time quite well. You could clearly see the gradual change in each photo as the flowers started getting more limp and losing their vibrance, however, I didn't think through the lighting very well because I let natural light come through the window in some of the photos and had unnatural light on in the room in others so each photo differed a little in lighting which made it them hard to edit to look similar. Even after my best efforts at editing the photos, they still weren't as similar as I would have liked them to be. Black and white was an improvement upon the original coloured ones because it set more of a sad mood as they die and you couldn't see the green tint on the flower made by the window cleaner I sprayed on them to kill them so that was another advantage of black and white.

  After taking everything in to consideration, I have decided to do idea 1 for my final photos. The main reason I have chosen idea 1 is because I know I can take better photos for it than I can for idea 2  and I enjoy it more because I can walk around and find things and take my photos from different angles, experimenting with different settings on my camera whereas, idea 2 limits me to sticking my camera on a tripod and pressing the button every few hours which is much less interesting. Furthermore, I encountered a few problems while I was photographing the flowers such as lighting and the green colour that the chemical left on them and I don't want to risk making these mistakes again so in a way, photographing rust is the safer option. 

   I am going to return to Denny Abbey to see if I can improve on my last photos.




























No comments:

Post a Comment